can i claim 1000$ student loan paid this year on taxes?

I had 1000$ withheld from my tax return this year(2011) for a student loan from 2006. Can i claim this on my 2013 return? If so about how much would it save me.

Tags: ,

7 Responses to “can i claim 1000$ student loan paid this year on taxes?”

  1. Cathi K Says:

    You can claim any interest paid if you qualify on the 2011 return. It will save you pennies. If this is ttaxes due then no

  2. Rarri Says:


  3. a tax lady Says:

    You were already told no. Technically you got the $1000, but because you failed to pay the student loan on your own, the IRS paid it for you. You get NO DEDUCTION.

  4. Judy Says:

    You can claim the interest, not the loan repayment itself or any penalties or fees for being late. It might save you a few dollars, not a lot.

  5. the kid Says:

    Of course not. It was withheld b/c you refused to pay it. You get no deduction for paying it now. Even if you did, it would be only the interest.

  6. Bobbie Says:

    No NO No and No way and time would it ever be possible to have a deduction on your federal 1040 income tax return for any payment of past due legally collectible government debts that have been paid through the FMS REFUND offset program for this purpose and time in your life.
    Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 12/15/2011

  7. tro Says:

    of course not

Powered by WordPress Lab
eXTReMe Tracker